Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Book review : Imperial Scandal by Teresa Grant

Imperial Scandal
Malcom and Suzanne Rannoch Mysteries
by Tracy grant

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

It's really difficult to review this book and also the author's style, some things are 4 stars, others 3.5 which I would round to 3.

I partly liked it and partly hated it. It was definitely an intense reading but difficult to read.
I honestly don't know if I will read more books in this series, probably not, but as happened last time too, after I finished the book for a while, I already feel like I miss the company of those characters... it's an odd thing!

Without a doubt this author's way of writing swallows the reader in a whirlwind of confusion, both understanding and emotional.

__ TOO MANY CHARACTERS ___ Well, such as in the first book of the series, here too we find an endless number of characters, that's the reason why the author put a characters list before starting the story.
Yes, I admit it helps a little, BUT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT 20 RECURRING CHARACTERS, some invented, some really existed, PLUS ANOTHER 20 or so, historical and non-historical names ONLY MENTIONED throughout the book... I say : too much is too much !

---> But this is not enough to complicate things to the reader, indeed author's novels are so detailed that they seem like scripts for a TV series. Scenes and costumes are described in every shape, light, color and every fold.
The dialogues include both interesting exchanges for the reader and also banal lounge chatter, as happens in real life scenes.
If actors were to interpret the characters, they wouldn't need any guidance, the author describes every type of grimace, thought, emotion, action... the writer is good, but as they say: too much is too much and the book is unnecessarily too long in my opinion.

___ THE ROMANTIC TOUCH __ In the previous book I had grown fond of the 2 protagonists, Malcom and Suzanne and I liked their discovery of falling in love after an arranged marriage, above all I loved the complicity that was born between the two of them.
I wanted to read the second book precisely to find the two of them again, but in this book their couple, despite being in love, is left aside by the writer and in fact there was an element that disturbed me greatly in the behavior of one of the two. 
A petty behavior that I didn't expect from a main character and that I struggled to accept (and while I was reading I promised myself: I'm done with this series! ... But near the end ___WARNING : SPOILER [ this character finally changes for the better. I didn't think it would happen and it was a real sigh of relief, even if in subsequent books all this will have a consequence. ] __SPOILER END
LUCKILY I HAD MY ROMANTIC STORY with another couple (I won't say their names so as not to ruin the reading).

___THE PLOT ____ This time we are in Brussels, after Napoleon's return to France and the imminent danger of war.The story begins with a meeting between spies, an action scene with shootouts and 2 murders, one of which is strange and inexplicable, because it concerns not a spy, but a lady who was at a ball shortly before.
Compared to book #1, the mystery here is more interesting, but except for the opening scene, all the espionage part is resolved in lounge chatter at balls and the opera in Brussels, secret messages and interrogations of people connected to the victim, until about halfway through the book.
Furthermore, as in the first book, we find the theme of betrayals and a thousand lovers, all married people are lovers of someone or more than one: repetitive theme!

...AT THAT POINT, I THOUGHT:
Enough! How boring !!

I was wrong to read the second installment... the first one ended so well and I should have been happy with that...
AS SOON AS I FINISHED THINKING SO, THE TURNING POINT ARRIVED:

---> Having reached the point where the news of the war is communicated, the detailed description of the scenes becomes exciting, the emotions of panic and frenzy, the farewells of mothers, girlfriends, sisters to their men, the coming and going of soldiers ready to leave... it's very nice to read and I felt like I was inside a scene from the film "Gone with the Wind" (from Mitchell's book) or better yet inside a scene from the film and TV series about "Vanity Fair" by Thackeray, that was about the same historical moment. (I talk about films because there is no comparison with those fantastic novels and also because while I read, my mind "use to see" each thing I read like it was a movie).

---> With the beginning of the war, the historic battle of Waterloo, we have other very engaging scenes: suspense, bullets, battles, chases and ambushes, dead and wounded friends and acquaintances... everything described very well (but always with a billion fictional and historical  names, which I no longer took into account, except for the main ones, involved in the story of the murder ).

_ SO, TO SUMMARIZE MY OPINION: overall I liked the book and there was an happy ending , but there are too many characters, the plot is too long and detailed even with insignificant parts and all this creates great confusion for the reader, not allowing one to fully enjoy the story.
--> I think the author is well prepared from a historical point of view, but a myriad of names of characters who actually existed do not help the reader and in the end this is intended to be a light read.
--> The first half of the book was slower and had a repetitive theme (lovers and illicit relationships), while the second half involved me a lot.

ANOTHER PROBLEM (for me) REFERRING TO THE WHOLE SERIES:
the sequence in which books are read is not the same sequence in which they were published.
In fact, the first books of the series were written long after the others and the 2 protagonists have different names (yes, you understood correctly! ).
The writer wrote some books where the 2 main characters were called Charles and Melanie, then she changed publisher and wrote prequels with the names of Malcom and Suzanne (at the request of the new publisher), then in the last books I see that his name is Malcom and her Melanie (so mix the two pairs of names).
More, by reading some other reader's reviews, I saw that even the characters, despite being the same wife and husband, are more likeable in the recent books (which are actually those from the beginning of the series), while before they had slightly different and less pleasant personalities...WHAT ARE YOU SAYING? YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ? THAT'S EXACTLY...IT'S ALL A GREAT CONFUSION!!

Not available in Italian language.

Join me on FB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book review : Letters to a Lover by Mary Lancaster

Letters to a Lover Crime and Passion Book #2 by Mary Lancaster My rating: ★★★★★ 5 FULL STARS WELL DESERVED!! :-...