Sunday, March 24, 2024

Book review : An Honourable Thief by Douglas Skelton

An Honourable Thief
by Douglas Skelton
Company of Rogues book #1


My rating: ★★★★☆
3.7 rounded up to 4 stars is my actual rating.

It really took me a long time to get into the book and to get fond of the characters but finally, almost halfway through the novel I felt involved in the plot.

The author divided the story into 3 main parts.

-----> Part 1 starts with a lot of action and humorous lines by the main character and the villains and other people around him.
I generally love action and also humorous books. I dare say that action+humour+mystery-or-and-adventure is the perfect mix for me, but I had a great problem with this story.
The humorous lines were indeed so exasperated and the dialogues with jokes so long that they sound ridiculous, it sounded like reading an old hard boiled starring Sam Spade ( do you know The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett ? ) with a fatal female or some comics starring Spider or Batman... I expected to read "boom, splash, boing, gulp, crack and so one " at any moment !

I take the author wrote PART 1 of the book as a sort of introduction to the hero and his way of living... but too many chapters with action and jokes with no real substance...it felt more like a competition between the hero and his adversaries to prove who was the coolest.

___ THE PLOT begins in fact with Jonas Flint, the hero, who despite having been a thief and a scoundrel, works as a sort of secret agent for an important character who in turn works for the monarchy.
The action I was talking about takes place during a mission, in which the character shows off all his James Bond skills, with guns, sword and dagger and during the danger and fighting he also has time to joke non-stop.
We are in 1715 London and the main mission of the book is to recover a document written by the dying queen, which could compromise the future of the throne and the stability of England in a period in which the Jacobite uprisings are already causing unrest and death.

Part 1 also introduces the historical setting of the novel.
When a sovereign has no direct heirs there's always great tension and a great risk of riots, revolts and wars to gain power...

------> PART 2 was a little more serious and far better than the first one.
It takes the reader into the hero's past life and and deeper into the patriotic feelings of the people, especially the Scots towards the English monarchy, in the daily difficulties of common people and in the dullness of thought that, at that time, saw slavery as normal.
The intelligence and sensitivity and goodness of heart of a few people were unfortunately subject to the arrogance of rich people and those of aristocratic rank.

In this second part there is no shortage of moments of lightness or ironic and nice jokes, but here I was able to appreciate them because they were well-dosed (not too many and forced, nor non-existent) and skilfully mixed with deep feelings and emotions.
In this second part I began to grow fond of the characters and suffered with them in difficult moments.

Although Jonas' mission was always important and always his final goal, the second part explores more the introspective side of the main character and his family/friends.

Talking about characters, the main ones are fictional, but they are well blended with real historical figures and you'll find many clarifications on the matter in the author's final notes.

---> Part 3 is also interesting and engaging.
Even if it's more focused on the main mission (to recover the important and dangerous document), all the events of the second part come to a head.
There are a couple of very important twists and if one is a little bit predictable by the reader ( I expected that ), the other one is really surprising and I have to warn you: it's a little bit sad and bitter.

Overall I'm happy to say that I liked the book and I'm thinking of reading the next one in the series too.
The series is named "Company of Rogues" and it includes 3 total works.
Each book is readable as a standalone, but I think that reading all three in a row gives the reader a more complete vision of the soul of Jonas Flint, the hero. This is very important because Jonas is not a hero without reproach and I must admit that at the beginning I wasn't happy to have a protagonist who killed people left and right, even if they were villains... But his past helps the reader to accept him and at least in this first book, we also see the good sides of his soul and the shame he feels in having led a certain kind of life.

WARNING : some crude and bloody scenes are present in the book, just as the language of certain characters is crude and trivial.

Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language and thanks for reading my review.
I hope my opinion and impressions can be useful to you when deciding whether to read this historical fiction or not.


Join me on FB Tizi Cozy Corner page to be always updated on new posts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book review : Letters to a Lover by Mary Lancaster

Letters to a Lover Crime and Passion Book #2 by Mary Lancaster My rating: ★★★★★ 5 FULL STARS WELL DESERVED!! :-...