Saturday, May 25, 2024

Book review : Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman by E.W. Hornung

Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman
by E.W. Hornung
Classic short stories collection

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this book about 3 years ago and have reread the stories in it over the last 2 days.

I have always been fascinated by stories of gentleman thieves, but except for having seen an old black and white film with David Niven and Olivia De Havilland from 1939, I had never heard of Raffle.
I found this book by chance and since it was super discounted I grabbed it immediately. Wow, how lucky, it was a nice breath of joy.

It has been a great read, each story very quick to read, light and ironic.
The main character, a gentleman thief, not only is fascinating but could also be a magnificent character in a contemporary adventure book or in a TV series suitable for the whole family.
So if work keeps you too busy and you don't have too much time to focus on a longer and more challenging read, this little book will relieve all your stress.

The set is Victorian-era London. The two characters ( yes , actually we have a couple of main characters) Raffle and Bunny love a comfortable and luxurious life but they don't like working that much, so their choice is theft.
The couple is the usual cliché: one very intelligent and full of charm, the other a little clumsier and less skilled, but always a very good friend and a good supporting shoulder for the first one.
As I said, it's the usual cliché of books and films of all time, but they know the same way how to steal your heart.

I liked all the stories, only the last one left me a little sad... but I can't tell you anything otherwise I would ruin your enjoyment of reading.

A nice curiosity is that the author, EW Hornung, was the brother-in-law of none other than Arthur Conan Doyle (author of Sherlock Holmes and his trusted Dr. Watson).

Thank you for reading my opinion and if you found any errors in my text, please forgive me, English is not my native language.

Join me on FB Tizi Cozy Corner page to be always updated on new posts


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book review : Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas

Devil in Winter Wallflowers Book 3 by Lisa Kleypas My rating: ★★★★★ 5 FULL STARS !! :-D Gosh!    Definitely ...