Monday, January 16, 2023

Book review : 12 Days at Bleakly Manor by Michelle Griep

12 Days at Bleakly Manor
Once Upon a Dickens Christmas series
by Michelle Griep


My rating: ★★★★★
5 of 5 stars WELL DESERVED !

I LOVE IT !!
An amazing romantic mystery, I loved it from the very first page to the end !


___ THE PLOT ___

When Clara Chapman receives an intriguing invitation to spend Christmas 1850 at an English manor home, she is hesitant yet compelled to attend—for if she remains the duration of the twelve-day celebration, she is promised a sum of five hundred pounds. That’s enough money to bring her brother back from America and reinstate their stolen family fortune. But is she walking into danger? It appears so, especially when she comes face to face with one of the other guests—her former fiancĂ©, Benjamin Lane.

Imprisoned unjustly, Ben wants revenge on the unknown person who stole his honor. When he’s given the chance to gain his freedom, he jumps at it—and is blindsided by the anger of the woman he left at the altar.

Brought together under mysterious circumstances for the 12 Days of Christmas, Clara and Ben discover that what they've been striving for isn't what ultimately matters. What matters most is what Christmas is all about . . . love.

___ MY HUMBLE OPINION ___

I'm not a writer and I don't pretend to do a professional review, so I'll just write my humble opinion as a passionate reader :-)

I admit that I choosed to read it because I was attracted by the cover and by the name "Dickens" and although I considered my Christmas reading marathon just ended with the previous read book, I decided to read the same one more Christmas story (I didn't want to postpone it until next Christmas) and I decided so well ! :-D
I read it in only 2 days because I couldn't put it down!

I really loved the 2 main characters, I loved their story and I adored their way of relating to each other, with care for each other and also with witty jokes from which transpires the pre-existing complicity between them and existing again in the present.

I liked the strangeness of the side characters, truly worthy of Dickens's pen, I liked the unexpected twists and turns and if you think that the ending could be taken for granted, well if you read the book (and I recommend it) you will also find unexpected surprises there.

The only predictable thing was the villain of the story, but I assure you that this does not spoil the novel because there are several mysteries to solve.

Great job Michelle Griep, this was the first book I read among yours, but I will read many more, starting today you can count me among your fans !

___ MY FAVORITE QUOTE IN THIS BOOK ___
Worrying doesn’t stop the bad from happening.
It keeps you from enjoying the good.


NOTE : I'm an Italian old girl who use to read and now writing this post in a foreign language: please forgive me for the errors of form and grammar :-)

READ ALSO my REVIEW about BOOK #2:
A Tale of Two Hearts by Michelle Griep


Join me on FB Tizi Cozy Corner page to be always updated on new posts

I’m an affiliate marketer with links to an online retailer on my website. When click on those links and buy something from the retailer, I earn a commission from the retailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book review : Fools and Mortals by Bernard Cornwell

Fools and Mortals by Bernard Cornwell My rating: ★★☆☆☆ 2.5 stars, rounded down to 2, because I can expect such...