Friday, February 09, 2024

Book review : Death in Delft by Graham Brack

Death in Delft
Master Mercurius Mysteries Book 1
by Graham Brack

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

This book was proposed and voted on in my reading group of English authors, but it was already included in my wish-list for 2 reasons:

___ 1) I love historical settings in countries on the European continent different from the usual England (which I adore, but whose I read in most books).

__2) because I really like mysteries that include historical figures in the investigations, especially if they are people with particular talents (artistic, literary, musical, etc..., in this case also scientific).
I find that the book is written in a fluent manner, above all thanks to the irony and self-irony in the language of the main character, Master Mercurius, who is the one who tells us the story in the first person.

Before telling you my opinion (according to my personal tastes of course ), here is a short PLOT:
Master Mercurius is a young Catholic priest who lives in the guise of a Protestant priest, with the approval of his archbishop, in order to take advantage of a university scholarship.
Being recognized as an exceptional student of great intelligence, he is sent to Delft, at the request of the city mayor, to direct the investigation into the disappearance of 3 children, one of whom has already been found dead.
In this mystery the young Mercurius will be joined by 2 very talented people, both of whom really lived in reality and remained in history, one for his artistic talent and the other for his scientific discoveries and for the invention of the microscope, I'm talking about : Johannes Vermeer, famous painter and Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, Dutch optician and naturalist considered the father of microbiology.

__ WHAT I LIKED IN THE BOOK___

-- The MAIN CHARACTER Master Mercurius :
The young priest, despite having taken orders twice, and despite having great faith and goodness of soul, is very far from the figure of the Church that we can imagine.
He is friendly, sociable, ironic and funny in his way of thinking and talking to himself and far from being a dull-witted bigot as often happened in past eras.

Mercurius also makes no secret of the temptations that touch his thoughts and how every now and then he would prefer to avoid the long and repetitive moments of prayer that are part of a priest's routine. Even confession is not one of his favorite tasks and it is fun to see how he approaches these "annoying" situations and duties.

The author so makes a three-dimensional and really enjoyable character, which we can also identify with.

-- The 2 MAIN SIDE CHARACTERS, i.e. Vermeeer and Van Leeuwenhoek.
The author included 2 historical figures that I, as a "non-Dutch", didn't know much about.

I knew what more or less everyone knows about Vermeeer: born in Delft in the 17th century, his paintings have great value today and one of the most famous is "The Girl with a Pearl Earring".

As for Van Leeuwenhoek I have to admit that I didn't even know his name from "hearsay".

Graham Brack told us some real notions about their life (which I then expanded with Wikipedia), but above all he gave us something that no Wikipedia or biography could give us: the warmth that is released within the walls of the house with the children running and they play, the wife and mother-in-law chat, the food on the table and the festive air you breathe sharing moments of affection all together.

The writer also gives us the humanity of a father who has lost his children and suffers from missing them, holding on tightly to what remains of his family.
We are given the enthusiasm of discoveries, that enthusiasm that humanity has when it discovers a part of creation that is mostly unknown to the multitude and also the enthusiasm that people have in feeling useful for a common goal.

I know it's a fictionalized reality, but that's the beauty of fiction!

__ WHAT I DIDN'T LIKED IN THE BOOK___

-- Of course I liked also the HISTORICAL PART concerning Holland in 1600 and the entire historical descriptive part of the society of the time, the way of life and the ideologies that defined the different communities of that time, but there was to much talk above all the problems and things related to religion.
Too many quotes in Latin (which in any case were then translated into English), too much digression on the settings of the religious things such as monastery life, the funeral and so on... all of this became boring in the long run.

-- The mystery itself was not engaging for me and although Mercurius' investigations are full of interrogations and testimonies, the plot did not provide twists that stunned me... there was a lack of tension.
Furthermore, perhaps I was expecting some action scenes, even small ones, but which would give a little more movement to the story...it was all too flat to me.

---- one thing then really made me angry: the ending.
WARNING SPOILER ___ MAKE SURE YOU WANT TO READ IT !___ I understand that a priest may not approve of the death penalty, but the fact that Mercurius lets the guilty person escape is just not acceptable!
The man had kidnapped 3 little girls, one was his daughter, taken from him unjustly, but he stole 2 other little girls from their parents, drugged them and one died!

That is justified by the fact that the little girl suffered from epilepsy... perhaps she would have died anyway, but perhaps not! Her parents suffered and she died far from them.
A CULPRIT DESERVES AT LEAST PRISON !!!
Drugging two innocent little girls and keeping them kidnapped because he had to find his daughter is not a justification.
______ SPOILER END___

Honestly I wonder what the hell the author was thinking when writing the end of this book...
I would have given it only one star rating, just because of this unacceptable end of the mystery.

Thanks for reading my review, of course every taste is personal, but I hope that it could still be useful for you to understand whether to choose to read this book or not.

Last note that I always insert: English is not my native language, forgive me for the errors that you surely found in my text!


Join me on FB Tizi Cozy Corner page to be always updated on new posts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book review : Fools and Mortals by Bernard Cornwell

Fools and Mortals by Bernard Cornwell My rating: ★★☆☆☆ 2.5 stars, rounded down to 2, because I can expect such...