Friday, November 24, 2023

Book review : The Duke Who Hates Christmas by Bianca Blythe

The Duke Who Hates Christmas
Holidays for Spinsters Book 1
by Bianca Blythe

My rating: 3.7 of 5 stars

A very nice Christmas regency romance novella, quite light and funny.

The plot of the back cover had intrigued me, I wanted to read something romantic, but that wasn't a heartbreaking love story and the book did what it promised: a short, easy read that put me in a good mood.

___THE PLOT___ England is at war with France and fears that Napoleon wants to invade the coasts of the United Kingdom to the north, in Scottish territory.

Caspian is a duke who asserted himself in war but suffered rather serious wounds in his leg and for this reason, despite his desire, he will not be sent back to fight, but rather to a castle in Scotland to teach rookies and older men to fight newly enlisted.
What he doesn't know is that he will find himself in the way of a group of young spinsters (by choice, but they won't be so insensitive to male charm).

The leader of the spinsters is Miranda, who he had already met while she was running away from an arranged and loveless marriage.
A series of mischief and moments of attraction and unexpected kisses will follow, there will be some problems caused by her nasty uncle and aunt. Nice happy ending guaranteed.

___MY OPINION ___ I liked the story, I include it among those that I will gladly reread in the future, but it is obvious that if it had been a novel and not simply a short story, it would have been better because we would have had longer descriptions of the romantic moments.
The supporting characters would have had more opportunity to interact and other events would have been added and developed, which would have made the story more compelling and complete.

This is of course not a criticism, it's just an observation... there are very few short stories that manage to hit the reader's heart in every aspect in just a few pages.

However, I liked all the characters (except the bad aunt and uncle and I'm happy that in the end they got what they deserved) and in just a few pages I managed to become fond of both Caspian and Miranda.
I also loved the setting: a castle in Scotland and it made me want to visit it again!

---> This story is the first of a series of 3, the other 2 concern characters known in the first book and I really think I will soon read the other 2 installments too.

( Thanks for reading my review, please forgive me for any errors in the text, English is not my native language )

Join me on FB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book review : Letters to a Lover by Mary Lancaster

Letters to a Lover Crime and Passion Book #2 by Mary Lancaster My rating: ★★★★★ 5 FULL STARS WELL DESERVED!! :-...